- Provide Leadership. The leaders of the organization have to establish the organization’s policies and goals for quality and to create an environment that motivates people to achieve these goals. No quality management system can be efficiently established without the full support of the upper management.
- Involve the people in the organization towards quality management and their improvement. Any QMS will fail if it does not have the support of its employees. Therefore the management should not only motivate these people towards quality management, but also to provide education in order to establish the competency among all people related to the organization.
- Process orientation. The organization has to organize all their activities into processes in order to manage their activities and related resources. Without process orientation, it becomes hard to manage the organization at all.
- System orientation. In order to increase efficiency, organizations shall identify related processes and classsify them into systems. Such an approach helps to structure the organization’s processes (and therefore activities).
- Continual improvement. Permanent commitment to continually improve the organization’s quality ensures better competitiveness in the market and efficient use of resources inside of the organization.
- The quality of all processes has to be regularly measured and documented. Only recorded data provides a sufficient basis in order to make the correct management decisions. Otherwise, decisions become more and more inconsistent and will do more harm than good.
- Relationship to suppliers. The quality of products services has to be periodically monitored to ensure that the quality of the organization or its output (e.g. product, service) is not negatively affected.
But why organizations, especially companies should care about ISO 9001?
There are four main benefits:
- ISO 9001 can be an efficient tool in revealing cost saving opportunities by avoiding unnecessary activities and waste of resources and by creating high quality products, which leads to lower repair costs.
- Being compliant with ISO 9001 leads to an increasing customer satisfaction simply due to better quality of products and services.
- Being ISO 9001 certificated provides better chances for international business because trust in the organization’s quality is much easier established.
- Enhanced marketing due to a better business image. Being compliant with ISO 9001 shows the companies responsibility towards product and service quality.